Perry: Patriots’ coaching setup at Shrine Bowl raises a few questions initially appeared on NBC Sports Boston
The buildup to the Shrine Bowl — one of many nation’s high pre-draft collegiate all-star video games — kicks off later this week, with the sport happening on Feb. 2 out in Las Vegas. The Patriots shall be there for all of it as they’re scheduled to educate the West staff.
The teaching workers, nevertheless, could have a really completely different look in comparison with the final time the Patriots took the sector in Week 18. Listed here are just a few quick-hitting takeaways from the Shrine Bowl’s announcement of the West teaching workers Wednesday…
1. Invoice O’Brien shall be there. When the Shrine Bowl tweeted out the coaching-staff configuration for the Patriots, the staff had not but introduced O’Brien’s arrival as offensive coordinator. The Shrine Bowl, nevertheless, virtually did it for them.
O’Brien is listed as being certainly one of three Patriots coaches who will take part in a “supervisory function,” together with Bill Belichick and Jerod Mayo. Proper to work for New England’s new head man on the offensive facet.
2. Joe Decide and Matt Patricia aren’t scheduled to be with the membership. What does that imply for his or her long-term futures?
As we reported earlier this week, there’s a feeling in the building that Patricia will not be with the team in 2023, although the Patriots have not but introduced something referring to Patricia. Billy Yates is listed because the lone offensive line coach on the West staff’s teaching roster; he dealt with offensive line teaching duties for many of final season after it turned clear Patricia wanted to deal with his roles as play-caller and de facto offensive coordinator.
Decide, in the meantime, won’t be wanting to return to particular groups after being head coach of the New York Giants and making an attempt his hand on offense because the quarterbacks coach final season. Cam Achord is listed as a supervisor on particular groups for the week in Vegas, and his assistant for the previous few seasons, Joe Houston, would be the particular groups coach.
Linebackers coach Steve Belichick and defensive position coach DeMarcus Covington aren’t scheduled to be in Las Vegas both. Covington shall be a defensive coordinator on the Senior Bowl on Feb. 4 in Cellular, Ala. No phrase but on Steve Belichick’s absence.
3. Troy Brown will function head coach for the West. Brown has coached up a wide range of positions since becoming a member of Belichick’s workers in 2019. First it was as an assistant to vast receivers coach Joe Decide, who additionally had the title of particular groups coordinator.
Brown additionally helped with returners that 12 months. Then he dealt with working backs with Ivan Fears in addition to returners in 2020. In 2021, he turned a large receivers coach and held the identical function final season.
4. Ross Douglas will get a shot at one thing completely different. Douglass helped out with the receivers in 2022 after serving as a defensive assistant the season prior. Now he’ll have an opportunity to educate quarterbacks and function offensive coordinator.
Douglas is younger — he graduated highschool in 2012, performed at Michigan and later transferred to Rutgers (leaving Rutgers with a grasp’s diploma in 2018) — however he is had alternatives to deal with a wide range of roles in a brief span.
5. With Mayo supervising and Steve Belichick not listed on the roster of coaches, cornerbacks coach Mike Pellegrino and safeties coach Brian Belichick could have a possibility to function co-defensive coordinators. Belichick will coach linebackers and Pellegrino will deal with the defensive position…
6. … Together with a brand new face serving to out. Keith Jones is listed as an assistant defensive position coach with Patriots assistant Joe Kim. Jones is at the moment named on the Arkansas soccer web site as a graduate assistant. Unclear if he’ll be serving to the Patriots throughout the season, however he’ll be available for the subsequent week.
7. Evan Rothstein shall be making the journey. Some on the workers questioned what would possibly occur with Rothstein if Patricia did not return since Patricia labored with Rothstein in Detroit and labored carefully with him on offensive game-planning throughout the 2022 season. However he is headed to the Shrine Bowl because the working backs coach.
8. Nick Caley, who interviewed with the Patriots for their open offensive coordinator role, isn’t listed on the workers. The tight ends coach since 2017, Caley’s contract with the staff is up. Tyler Hughes, an offensive assistant the final three seasons, will tackle the function of tight ends coach for Shrine week.