(Reuters) – America is predicted to ship a brand new weapon to Ukraine, the Floor Launched Small Diameter Bomb (GLSDB), doubling Kyiv’s present strike vary.
Beneath are some particulars in regards to the weapon:
* Ukraine’s longest-range weapon presently is the Guided A number of Launch Rocket System (GMLRS). Its rockets can journey 48 miles (77 kilometers) whereas the GLSDB’s vary is 94 miles (151 km). Larger vary would permit the Ukrainian army to assault Russian forces from a higher distance or probably penetrate extra deeply into Russian-held territory.
* The rocket-powered GLSDB combines the GBU-39 small-diameter bomb, usually dropped from planes, with the M26 rocket motor, each of that are widespread in U.S. army inventories.
* GLSDB is made collectively by Sweden’s SAAB AB and Boeing Co and had its first flight take a look at in 2015.
* GLSDB might be delivered as early as spring 2023, in keeping with a Boeing doc seen by Reuters.
* The GLSDB’s technological advances make it probably simpler. The navigation system permits it to be steered round obstacles like mountains and recognized anti-air defenses, in contrast to conventional artillery that follows a parabolic arc in direction of its goal.* The weapon can be outfitted to defeat some jamming makes an attempt and has a programmable explosive.
(Reporting by Mike Stone in Washington; Enhancing by Cynthia Osterman)